We are delighted and very proud to be celebrating 75 years of being an independent veterinary practice. Throughout 2019 we have various events and open days planned to help us to celebrate this massive achievement. Keeping checking back to find out what we have planned.
Today’s Practice was first founded when it was bought by a young vet, Ronald Wood MRCVS, in 1943 for £150 which included goodwill, fixtures & fittings and all stock which included two bottles of Aspirins, one pink and the other white. The pink ones were in case the white ones didn’t work.
The premises at the time were in Caxton Lodge on North Street in Ripon and he was later joined by Philip Blackburn MRCVS in 1950 and then by Neil Spedding MRCVS in 1966. Neil Spedding was instrumental in starting the companion animal aspect of the surgery in what was at that time a very traditional farming veterinary Practice.
The Practice has always been at the forefront of veterinary thinking and introduced a number of schemes to manage problems within the farming sector such as Mastitis Control, a forerunner to today’s Herd Health Schemes. At this time Philip Blackburn became involved with the first minimal disease pig units in the area and over time, built his expertise to become one of the leading pig specialists in the country.
The Practice moved to Princess Road in Ripon in 1970 to a purpose built facility which at the time was thought to be big enough for any expansion in the future and a few years later the partnership grew from 3 to 5 partners when first Robert Ankcorn MRCVS and then Leslie Cox MRCVS became Partners. It was at this time that one of the first pilot herd fertility schemes in the country for dairy farmers offering routine monthly visits was set up.
Routine farm, equine and companion animal consultations were carried out by all vets and within 20 years the work had grown to such a scale that more space was needed and the present bespoke surgery was designed and built at Mill Farm near Bishopton in Ripon. The Practice relocated to Mill Farm in 1993 and reformed as Bishopton Veterinary Group. The group joined the XLVets network of practices as core members in 2006.
We are now a 27 vet practice, across five branches and two collection centres, and operate a service across the country in our pig and cattle breeding departments in particular. Bishopton Equine Veterinary Services and RAFT Solutions Ltd are independent companies associated with Bishopton Vets, and we continue to look for areas in which we can improve our skills, knowledge and expertise to ensure we deliver the highest standards of personal and progressive care for you and your animals.